I’ve really been enjoying peaches this season. It started when my mom brought back her regular haul of perfectly ripe southern peaches from North Carolina and has continued on to the not so perfect peaches in New York. Peaches have never been towards the top of my fruit list but, this season they just keep making their way into my meals.
Since I took Monday off to finish up with the move, I decided to make a pizza for lunch. A few days before I saw a recipe on one of the many food blogs I read for a pizza that had peaches and mozzarella so, I decided to take that concept and roll with it. Jerry’s parents came to visit on Sunday and his dad brought lots of fresh basil from his garden. I decided this would be a perfect compliment to the peaches. For a little protein, I decided to add some prosciutto because it sounded like it would taste great. Finally, I decided to top the pizza with a balsamic reduction. It was super easy to make and I’ll definitely be making it again.
1 Pizza Crust (I suggest you make your own and I used a whole wheat crust)
Fresh, Slicable Mozzarella
3-4 Slightly Under Ripe Peaches
6-8 Slices of Prosciutto
3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (or as high as your oven will go)
- If making your own dough, follow that recipe first.
- Pour your balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and heat over medium high heat. Once it starts to boil reduce to medium and let simmer until it has reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- While the balsamic is reducing, roll out your pizza dough onto your pizza pan or stone.
- Slice up your mozzarella, peaches and basil. Your mozzarella should be about 1/4 inch thick and your peaches should be thinly sliced.
- Top pizza with fresh sliced mozzarella, being careful not to overlap.
- Layer peaches on top of the mozzarella in an circle – starting from the outside crust and moving inward.
- Sprinkle basil over the pizza.
- Put your pizza in the oven for 6 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and drop roughly shredded prosciutto over the pizza. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the pizza and return to the oven.
- Cook pizza for another 6-10 minutes depending on your crust. My pizza took about 15 minutes to cook to my liking.